WhatsApp GARDAI investigating an alleged child sex abuse ring operating in the Mid West have made 12 more arrests this Monday.The arrests were made following a number of searches and raids on addresses in the Mid West this Monday.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Facebook The 12 are all being detained in different garda stations for questioning in connection with the discovery earlier this year of an alleged child sex abuse and exploitation case that is being considered as one of the worst in the history of the State.Earlier this year, 11 arrests were made when the case was unearthed and it is understood that a number of those arrested this Monday had been previously questioned. “They are currently detained in Garda stations in the Southern and Western Regions of An Garda Siochana.”See more news here Twitter Linkedin Advertisement NewsBreaking newsLimerick#BREAKING 12 arrested in Mid West child sex abuse ringBy Staff Reporter – October 1, 2018 10529 Previous articlefilm review: The Little StrangerNext articleGovernment moves to safeguard Aughinish jobs Staff Reporterhttp://www.limerickpost.ie Print Email Gardai confirmed that they arrested a number of people in relation to an ongoing investigation.
Shannon Airport braced for a devastating blow Facebook Linkedin TAGSbusinessLimerick CountyNewspolitics TechPost | Episode 9 | Pay with Google, WAZE – the new Google Maps? and Speak don’t Type! Previous articleCouncil told to move from 9-to-5 tourismNext articleHuge disappointment as England secure bonus point win in Aviva Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie WhatsApp Exercise With Oxygen Training at Ultimate Health Clinic FIANNA Fáil councillor Kevin Sheahan this week expressed his “satisfaction” that the US authorities have lifted sanctions on Aughinish Alumina in County Limerick.Speaking at Monday’s meeting of Limerick City and County Council, Cllr Sheahan welcomed the result of the ballot in the US Senate which failed to block the US Treasury’s de-listing of Aughinish Alumina’s parent company, Rusal.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up He said celebrations in Foynes this week would be as big as when the plant first opened 35 years ago.“I am glad that the power and forces beyond our control — USA and Russia – have sorted out their differences. This is good news for one of our serious rate payers and the 600 jobs that are now secure,” he said.Fine Gael councillor John Sheahan praised Tánaiste and Minister for Foreign Affairs and Trade, Simon Coveney, for his part in the diplomatic talks.“He got us where we are today,” Cllr Sheahan claimed.Party colleague Cllr Stephen Keary also paid tribute to Ministers of State Patrick O’Donovan and Pat Breen for their role in talks in recent months.Cllr Kevin Sheahan said it amused him to see Irish politicians getting credit for the lifting of US sanctions against a major Limerick employer. He took the view that only the American and Russian governments could take this credit.“Now my bid to invite the President of the USA to Limerick makes sense,” he scoffed.Independent councillor John Gilligan was having none of it.“I am delighted these jobs are safe but lets not mistake these two groups for anything other than the international criminals they are,” Cllr Gilligan commented.In a statement issued to the Limerick Post, Minister Patrick O’Donovan described the reaction to the lifting of US sanctions as “a huge sigh of relief” .The lifting of sanctions against Russian energy giant Rusal – owner of the County Limerick production plant – failed to pass after it didn’t reach the required threshold of 60 votes.“This means that the path is now clear for the de-listing to take full effect this Friday evening, at which point Aughinish would no longer be impacted by the sanctions. This is obviously a huge relief for the hardworking employees and management of the firm and for all those involved in trying to safeguard its future,” Minister O’Donovan said.“However, we need to await developments over the next day or so to ensure that the de-listing goes ahead as planned on Friday. Our understanding of the agreement reached with the Russian firms concerned is that the right balance has been struck between punishing individuals whilst avoiding unnecessary collateral damage to the friends of US, like Ireland and Sweden.”According to Limerick Fine Gael TD Tom Neville, the Government worked very closely in support of Aughinish and its management ever since the sanctions were announced last April. This involved intensive work, both at home and abroad, in search of a solution to safeguard the firm’s future. This announcement is the culmination of a significant cross-Government effort over ten months.“We will continue building awareness in the United States of Aughinish’s long history in Ireland and its importance to the Mid-West and our wider economy. These jobs are of vital importance to Limerick and the Mid-West and Government will continue to support them,” Deputy Neville told the Limerick Post. Email Advertisement Ann & Steve Talk Stuff | Episode 29 | Levelling Up Limerick businesses urged to accept Irish Business Design Challenge Limerick on Covid watch list Twitter NewsBusinessPoliticsRelief all round as Aughinish sanctions liftedBy Alan Jacques – February 2, 2019 890 RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Print read more
United States’ Clint Dempsey, left, celebrates with teammates after scoring the opening goal during the group G World Cup soccer match between Ghana and the United States at the Arena das Dunas in Natal, Brazil, Monday, June 16, 2014. Photo: APAfter 90 brutal minutes of end-to-end action, the Americans emerged with a thrilling 2-1 win over Ghana.U.S. fans were screaming for revenge Monday after the Black Stars eliminated the Americans from the last two Cups.They got it. At a price.Clint Dempsey scored a shocking goal a half-minute in, but the U.S. couldn’t make it stand up. Andre Ayew tied the score in the 82nd minute after a brilliant back-heel pass from Asamoah Gyan, who had eliminated the U.S. four years ago.And then, just four minutes later, 20-year-old John Brooks rose to head in Graham Zusi’s corner kick from 8 yards – the first substitute to ever score for the United States in 30 World Cup games over 84 years. The defender, an unexpected addition to the American roster, was so overcome he fell to the field and was unable to move even after teammates climbed off the dog pile. He had made his national team debut only last August, and Brooks hadn’t scored in four appearances.United States’ Clint Dempsey celebrates after scoring the opening goal during the group G World Cup soccer match between Ghana and the United States. Photo: APU.S. players ran onto the field to celebrate at the final whistle, jumping as supporters chanted “U-S-A! U-S-A!” Now the Americans are in good position in Group G, where Germany opened with a 4-0 rout of Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal.U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann had said this would be like a final. Jozy Altidore was hoping it wasn’t his finale.advertisementThe forward was carried off on a stretcher after his left hamstring gave out in the 21st minute when he tried to control a long ball. He awaits tests that will determine whether he can return for this World Cup.United States’ John Brooks, centre, celebrates after scoring his side’s second goal during the group G World Cup soccer match between Ghana and the United States. Photo: APDempsey went down too on a balmy late-autumn night but stayed in the game. The U.S. captain ended the first half with a tissue up his nose to stop the bleeding after John Boye’s kick to his face during a battle for a header in the 31st minute, and he was struggling for breath in the second.Matt Besler came out at the start of the second half after feeling tightness in his right hamstring. It was his replacement, Brooks, who scored the winning goal. Zusi was also a sub, coming on for the hobbling Alejandro Bedoya in the second half.By the time of the final whistle, the U.S. lineup had Brooks in central defense and a virtually invisible 23-year-old Aron Johannsson at forward.Now the odds favour advancement. But that might depend on which players are able to make it on the field for Sunday’s game against Portugal in the hot and humid Amazon rain forest capital of Manaus. read more
Man Utd slash asking price for Juventus target Pogbaby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United have dropped their expectations over a price for Paul Pogba, it has been claimed in Italy.United, report Tuttosport, remain determined to sell the Frenchman next summer, knowing the feeling is mutual from the player.However, despite claims of a €200m price-tag being slapped on him, it’s now suggested United have scaled back their valuation to €70-80m.United want to sell Pogba and clear his wages off the books with the view to putting the freed funds towards the summer budget for the next manager.Juventus, meanwhile, remain the favourites to buy back Pogba in June. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Agent of Milinkovic-Savic insists he’s happy at Lazioby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveThe agent of Sergej Milinkovic-Savic insists he’s happy at Lazio.The midfielder has battled for consistency this season.“Sergej is really, really happy at Lazio,” Mateja Kezman told lalaziosiamonoi.it.“He showed how much he loves the club and fans by choosing to stay, despite having many offers.“All young players have ups and downs. He had a tough start to the season, but game by game he’s improved, getting back to his usual levels in the last month.“People often forget that he’s not a striker. His job isn’t to score. He does a lot for the team during a game.“He won’t leave Lazio this month, that’s 100 percent certain. It’s not right to talk about him possibly moving away every time.“He has a long contract with the Biancocelesti, he’s happy with them and above all he’s not for sale this month.“We must respect Lotito as the President. Lazio are also a great club, with all due respect for other sides.” read more
About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Real Madrid coach Zidane ready to unleash Hazard against PSGby Carlos Volcanoa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveReal Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane is ready to unleash Eden Hazard against Champions League opponents PSG.Zidane insists that Hazard will be available to begin the match after returning from injury, with the Belgian making his debut as a substitute against Levante at the weekend.”I think he’s ready to play, he’s had more training sessions now,” Zidane explained when pressed on the fitness of Los Blancos’ biggest signing this summer.”You know that I’ve always thought that [Hazard can play a pivotal role for Madrid]; he’s decisive, he can make the difference, and the fact that he’s at Real Madrid shows that.”I don’t want to compare, but I think that he will be a very important player and his future will be formidable at Real Madrid.”Hazard’s first major test in a white shirt will come in Paris, up against the reigning French champions.”We expect a lot from PSG and from Real Madrid, but we’re at the start [of the season] and we can do better,” Zidane analysed.”We have to improve and do it on all levels, and I think it’s the same for PSG.””I don’t know [what PSG are missing], but I think that they’re a team that are always improving; they’re a big club but winning the Champions League is not easy.” read more
About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Celta Vigo striker Iago Aspas suffers home burglaryby Carlos Volcano13 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveCelta Vigo striker Iago Aspas has seen thieves steal €100,000 worth of items from his home.Marca reports the robbery happened between 8.30pm and 11.30pm local time in Spain on Friday night. It is reported that clothes, jewellery, watches and money were all stolen. More than 15 footballers have suffered break-ins in Spain during the past year, with one of the most recent incidents involving Real Madrid midfielder Casemiro.Last month Casemiro had his house robbed while he was playing against Atletico Madrid, with his wife and daughter indoors when the break-in took place.
Some things are more important than football, and somebody’s personal well-being belongs at the top of that list. Despite how much you may think you know about a person, it’s impossible to know what kind of battles they’re fighting in their own heads each and every day, struggles too painful to share. So on Sunday, when Washington wide receiver Isaiah Renfro courageously took to Twitter to explain the battles he’s been fighting over the past year, the fact that he has decided to step away from football should be the last thing you take from his announcement. Yes – that was one of the reasons for it, but it was so much more than that; it was a young man finding enough strength to open up and be true to himself, true to others. It was what he believes to be a step in the right direction. Been debating on posting this but this is me taking steps in the right direction to becoming myself again.. pic.twitter.com/ptE1k9oKKJ— Isaiah Woods-Renfro (@WaveGodZay) May 29, 2016Here’s the message he posted to Twitter Sunday night. Renfro will obviously be missed on the football field, but I think it’s safe to say he’ll be supported in any way necessary through this difficult time. read more
zoom German shipbuilder Meyer Werft hosted on Wednesday a steel cutting ceremony at its Papenburg yard for Norwegian Cruise Line’s newest ship named Norwegian Encore.“Norwegian Encore will be the ultimate Breakaway Plus Class vessel and we are thrilled to celebrate the start of construction for this incredible new ship,” said Andy Stuart, president and chief executive officer for Norwegian Cruise Line.“Over 50 years ago the Norwegian brand began creating unforgettable vacation moments with the first inter-island cruise in the Caribbean from Miami. We continue building on our legacy of innovation with this brand-new state-of-the-art vessel perfect for exploring the natural beauty of some of the most remarkable islands in the world.”At approximately 167,800 gross tons and accommodating 4,000 guests, the ship will sail the Caribbean from Miami seasonally beginning in the fall of 2019. “We are excited to start production for Norwegian Encore and to create another floating destination for Norwegian Cruise Line,” Stephan Schmees, Executive Board Member Project Management Ships, Meyer Werft, said.Once delivered on October 31, 2019, Norwegian Encore will become the seventeenth ship in the Norwegian Cruise Line fleet and the line’s fourth and final ship in the Breakaway Plus Class. read more